Running Perl scripts with Apache on Win32

Luc Grondin grondin.luc at uqam.ca
Wed Mar 29 15:38:58 EST 2000

Hello!

I am trying to set up an Apache server on my Win98 workstation in order to
develop and test Perl scripts (before uploading them in production).  For a
while, I had an OmniHTTPd server running and was able to execute perl
scripts located in the cgi-bin directory.  However, I decided to use Apache
for Win32 instead.  It is working fine to serve files located in the htdocs
directory, but I have no success with scripts located in the cgi-bin.  An
error 500 is generated.  These are excerpts from the log files:

access.log:
localhost - - [29/Mar/2000:13:53:25 -0500] "GET /cgi-bin/testip.pl
HTTP/1.0" 500 595 "http://localhost/res.html" "Mozilla/4.7 [fr] (Win98; U)"

error.log:
[Wed Mar 29 13:53:24 2000] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (2)No such file or
directory: couldn't spawn child process: c:/apache/cgi-bin/testip.pl

In fact, there is a file as indicated in the path above.

There may be something wrong in the httpd.conf.  I have kept it close to
the way it was generated by the installation process:

#
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "C:/Apache/cgi-bin/"
#
# "C:/Apache/cgi-bin" should be changed to whatever your ScriptAliased
# CGI directory exists, if you have that configured.
#
<Directory "C:/Apache/cgi-bin">
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    AllowOverride None
    Options None
</Directory>

I would appreciate it if an Apache wizard could give me some directions.  I
have looked trough the documentation with no success so far.

Regards,

  ---
  Luc Grondin
  Bibliothecaire/Librarian