Great Systems Librn opportunity at U of Tennessee

Bill Britten bill at aztec.lib.utk.edu
Wed Mar 29 11:19:09 EST 2000

Folks -

You may have seen this job opening posted about a month ago, or on another
list, but I'm urging
you to take a look now, or take another look. The salary is very
competitive, especially given the low cost of living in Knoxville. UTK
Libraries is a great environment to work in ... we have a flat organization
that emphasizes team and personal autonomy, and we have a very generous
professional travel budget. My personal philosophy is to mold the job to a
person's skills as much as possible, and I encourage open and free
discussions on our priorities and goals within the Systems Team. There are
10 of us in the Systems Team, and we have a lot of fun.

If the position description below fits your career goals and seems to be
even close to a match with your experience, please take a shot at it!
Frankly, I need to broaden the applicant pool. If you would like to email or
call me to discuss the position, please do so ... I'm a very informal person
and would be happy to answer any questions.

thanks,

Bill Britten
Head of Systems
University of Tennessee Libraries
423-974-1082   423-974-0626 (fax)

ANNOUNCEMENT OF PROFESSIONAL VACANCY

POSITION:   Coordinator for Networked Service Integration

APPOINTMENT RANK: Assistant or Associate Professor

SALARY:   Assistant Professor minimum $45,000
Associate Professor minimum $52,000

AVAILABLE:   August 1, 2000

RESPONSIBILITIES:

The Coordinator for Networked Service Integration works within the
Systems Team and reports to the Head. This position is one of four
faculty positions in the Systems Team, along with six permanent staff
positions. Systems is a service-oriented team that develops, maintains,
and supports an array of networked services as well as the Libraries'
widely distributed information technology infrastructure. As a member of
the Systems Team, this position is expected to provide leadership in the
planning and development of technology-based user services as outlined
below.

Participating in an environment of Library-wide collaboration, and in a
collegial atmosphere within the Systems Team, this person will:
coordinate UTK Libraries web-based services; implement UTK Libraries web
catalog interface (currently OCLC SiteSearch interface to epixtech
Horizon database); implement interfaces to remote catalogs (e.g. Law
Library, Information Alliance); work with other Library teams to
initiate network services that form our "patron empowerment" strategy;
maximize the interoperability of our many systems; participate in a
team-based implementation of our integrated library system; interact
with campus computing units and technology vendors; may involve
supervision.

QUALIFICATIONS:

Required: MLS from an ALA-accredited institution. Relevant
professional-level technology experience (academic library preferred).
Evidence of excellent written and oral communication skills and ability
to work collegially. Demonstrated experience managing complex projects.
Demonstrated ability with one or more of the following programming
environments: Java, SQL, Perl, C++ or similar level language.
Understanding of network standards and protocols. Knowledge of
developments and trends in information systems.

Preferred: Knowledge of the Z39.50 standard. Demonstrated familiarity
with UNIX server environment. Experience with an integrated library
system. Experience with OCLC SiteSearch software.

The UTK Libraries is a U.S. selective federal depository and one of
Tennessee's six state depository libraries.  The Map Library serves as
the Earth Sciences Information Center for the state and was a
participant in the ARL-GIS project.

BENEFITS: Librarians at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville have
faculty rank and status and are appointed for twelve months. This is a
tenure track appointment. Library faculty must meet University
requirements for promotion and tenure. Annual leave is accrued at the
rate of two days per month and sick leave at the rate of one day per
month. Faculty have their choice of a state retirement plan or
TIAA/CREF. Non-refundable contributions to either retirement plan are
paid for the employee by the University. Group health and life insurance
plans are available. Tuition remission is available for all university
employees; partial undergraduate tuition remission is available to
dependent children and spouses of UT employees.

ENVIRONMENT: The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, a Carnegie Research
Level One institution, enrolls approximately 26,000 students from every
state in the United States and approximately 100 other countries.  As
Tennessee's comprehensive campus, UTK offers more doctoral programs than
any other institution in the state, and its faculty attract nearly $80
million annually for sponsored research programs.  UTK is on of 27
higher education institutions holding the distinction of being both a
land-grant institution and state university.

The UTK Libraries, with an annual budget of $10 million, holds 2 million
volumes and receives approximately 10,000 current serials.  The
Libraries system includes the John C. Hodges Library and four branches
on the Knoxville campus:  Agriculture-Veterinary Medicine, Map, Music,
and University Archives and Special Collections.  A fifth branch, the
Social Work Library, is located in Nashville.  Over three hundred
persons are employed, including 49 librarians, 8 exempt, 123 non-exempt,
and 150 students.  UTK Libraries is a member of the Association of
Research Libraries, SOLINET, and the Center for Research Libraries.  The
UTK Libraries offers a Web-based information system and access to a
variety of electronic information sources.
Additional information about this position and the UTK community is
available at http://toltec.lib.utk.edu/~lss/search/cnsi.html.

APPLICATION PROCEDURE:  Send letter of application, a current resume,
and the names, addresses, e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers of
three recent references to: Jill Keally, Head, Library Support Services,
1015 Volunteer Blvd., Knoxville, TN 37996-1000, fax 423/974-4696.

Review of applications will begin May 15, 2000 and continue until the
position is filled.

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, does not discriminate on the
basis of race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability or
veteran status in provision of educational programs and services or
employment opportunities and benefits. This policy extends to both
employment by and admission to the University.

The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, or
disability in the education programs and activities pursuant to the
requirements of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of
the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act
of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990.

Inquiries and charges of violation concerning Title VI, Title IX,
Section 504, ADA or the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) or
any of the other above referenced policies should be directed to the
Office of Diversity Resources & Educational Services (DRES), 2110
Terrace Avenue, Knoxville, TN 37996-3560, telephone (423)974-2498 (TTY
available). Requests for accommodation of a disability should be
directed to the ADA Coordinator at the Office of Human Resources
Management, 600 Henley Street, Knoxville, TN 37996-4125