[WEB4LIB] Re: More information on "Talk to a Librarian"

Lori Bell lbell at darkstar.rsa.lib.il.us
Wed Mar 29 11:02:50 EST 2000

We have received training and are looking into it.  It is now $1000 to set
up and $250 per month per operator seat or per person "working the desk."
They keep very detailed statistics for your benefit, but they also have a
very stringent privacy policy from what I have been able to see.  They
should not be able to use that information for their benefit.  If you
would like an email address I can give you one, or you can go to their
site and click on the live person icon and ask detailed information.  If
the person on duty cannot answer, you leave your email or phone number and
they get right back to you.  I have found them to be very concerned with
service; we had a great training session and when we have called with
questions, have always even gotten a "live person" on the phone.  We
thought about using this as a reference service for "after hours" or for
people who were on the web and could not call with questions because their
phone line was being used on the web.  There are already commercial sites
answering questions typically answered by librarians for a charge. There
is webhelp.com.  There, you can get free service, but you are on a higher
priority if you give them your credit card.  I think each search is 99
cents. There is another service like that called Quick Clue.  We liked
live person because it is on their server, not on ours, and users did not
have to have a special piece of software to use the service.

Lori Bell
Automation/Technology Department
Alliance Library System
845 Brenkman Drive