[WEB4LIB] Re: More information on "Talk to a Librarian"

Carole Richter Carole.J.Richter.8 at nd.edu
Wed Mar 29 10:53:56 EST 2000

Lori,
I'm very curious about the software you mention. At the site, I found
information indicating that there is some cost involved in providing the
service (LivePerson is inexpensive to install and maintain. Clients pay
only a nominal, one-time setup fee and a low, monthly fee per operator for
the service. )
Also, because the service is maintained by a company on a remote server,
I'm wondering if they are tracking users, names, addresses etc for any kind
of marketing list availability? Not to sound paranoid...!
Anyhow, it does look very interesting, but I am wondering if you've used
it, more about cost, etc.

At 07:22 AM 3/29/2000 -0800, Lori Bell wrote:
>With quick click and Live Person (www.liveperson.com) there is no software
>required on the browser's end.  The operator/librarian can be anywhere and
>someone using the internet can be anywhere go to that site, pop a window
>open if they need help.  If no one is on duty, they can leave an e-mail.
>
>Lori Bell
>Automation/Technology Department
>Alliance Library System
>845 Brenkman Drive
>Pekin, IL 61554
>phone:  (309)353-4110
>fax:  (309)353-8281
>lbell at darkstar.rsa.lib.il.us
>
>On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Drew, Bill wrote:
>
>> I gotten several queries asking for more information on our "Talk to a
>> Librarian" service.
>>
>> To begin with, many are wondering how we can ask users to install software
>> on their computers.  I did a survey of one of our larger laptop program
>> classes.  Out of the 30 students laptop users sampled, 26 had AOL Instant
>> Messenger already installed on their computers.
>>
>> Staffing is not a real issue with this service.  It is staffed by whom ever
>> happens to be on the reference desk.  All of the librarians really like it
>> (5 full time and 2 part time).  When no one is at the desk (usually during
>> college breaks) I run it from my laptop in my office.  We also use
e-mail as
>> a back up.
>>

>> -----
>> Wilfred (Bill) Drew
>> Associate Librarian, Systems and Reference
>> SUNY Morrisville College Library
>> drewwe at morrisville.edu
>> Home: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe
>> <http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe>