[WEB4LIB] Libraries -- information or misinformation sources?

Charles P. Hobbs chhobbs at cdrewu.edu
Tue Mar 28 12:41:57 EST 2000

Richard Prairie wrote:

> Dear web4lib members:
>
> I received the follwing message from another list to which I subscribe.
> Please at least carbon copy to info at turbopress.com any responses you have.
>

> From:   SkeptInq at aol.com
> Subject:      Libraries -- information or misinformation sources?
> To:     CSICOP-ANNOUNCE at LISTSERV.AOL.COM
> Date:   Mon, 27 Mar 2000 07:23:23 -0500
>
> The New Zealand Skeptics have asked us to help.  If you can provide any
> information please respond directly to them at:
>   Anybody out there looked at the library shelves lately and
>   wondered why astrology books outnumber astronomy?

In general, has anyone looked at the library shelves and wondered why
books on "X" outnumber books on "Y"? Hopefully it's because the
collection development librarians, using information based on patron
requests, checkout frequency, and similar sources of information, have
acted upon that information in choosing what books to purchase, and
what subjects to cover. (Of course, there is the occasional outside political
involvement/influence, and the usual problems of limited funding and space...)

> And should  we care?

Depends on who "we" is. CSICOP? Most likely. Other individuals and groups?
I guess if they can be convinced...get in line with the rest of the
governmental
agencies, corporations, advocacy groups and such yelling at us to do this,
don't do that, buy this, don't buy that, give here, pray there, vote yes on X,

vote no on Y, etc. . .

> Do we have a right to complain?

Most libraries have some sort of procedure for individuals to address concerns

about the collection. Please note though that librarians in general are real
resistant to start pulling books out of the collection simply because someone
is offended.

There is a difference between, say, removing some old science textbooks that
have phrases in them, such as "Man shall walk on the moon someday" and
"10 years from now, television will be common in every home", and removing/
not acquiring books on astrology because some group considers them
"pseudoscientific". We go through this occasionally with religious and
ethnic advocacy groups up in arms about one book or another. Also applies
to Internet filters and such too.

Of course, all of what I said is based on practice in public libraries in the
United States. Other library types, or other jurisdictions may have different
laws, rules and standards.

--
Charles P. Hobbs
King Drew Health Science Library