[WEB4LIB] Libraries -- information or misinformation sources?

Jennifer Heise jahb at lehigh.edu
Tue Mar 28 11:10:26 EST 2000

>   I guess I'm looking to see if there are examples of where libraries
>   have decided, for whatever reason, not to stock material and how
>   they made those decisions. Not so much the "ban Noddy" type of
>   PC decision-making, but more the ways in which libraries shape
>   the information database they represent through selection of books.
>   Anybody out there looked at the library shelves lately and
>   wondered why astrology books outnumber astronomy? And should
>   we care? Do we have a right to complain?

Libraries stock their shelves to fit the needs of their clientele. That
includes both subjects and reading levels. For instance, the reason that
there are more astrology books on the shelves than astronomy books in
public libraries, is because more people using public libraries care
about astrology than about astronomy. Also, topics that are mostly
covered by academic-level material are likely to be less well
represented in public libraries: that's why there are fewer books on
Linnaean classification in public libraries than there are on dogs! And
more diet books than nutrition textbooks.

Also, a lot of collections don't get overhauled often, and when they do,
it's based on recommendations such as those from Library Journal.

--
/   Jennifer Heise, Helpdesk/Librarian, Lehigh Univ. Information
Resources
  / Phone (610) 758-3072          Email: jahb at lehigh.edu

"Comment is free, but facts are on expenses." -- Tom Stoppard