Finding Netscape API docs (was: finding netscape versions)

Christopher Handy charta at inetdirect.net
Tue Mar 28 08:19:24 EST 2000

At 01:36 AM 3/26/2000 -0800, Stacy Pober wrote:
>Incidentally, when looking for older versions of Netscape to download, I
>generally have the best luck in using a search engine like altavista

>Some of the older versions are archived
>on Netscape's site, but they bury the links so well, I get weary poking
>around for them.  It's easier to get a copy from another site.

On a related subject:

Netscape's site once contained a series of documents devoted to the "remote
control" of Navigator on various platforms. I don't recall now the
individual document titles, which were inconsistent and confusing, but
something like Windows OLE API (for example) sounds vaguely familiar.

In any event, a year or more ago I noticed that most of these documents,
which had long been located in the directory

http://home.netscape.com/newsref/std

suddenly disappeared. The UNIX page (located at .../std/x-remote.html) was
still there last time I looked, but the Windows and Mac versions are long
gone. I've searched the site up and down and have emailed everyone I can
think to contact at Netscape (including at least one programmer there who
had provided information in the past) without success, and have given up
hope of getting copies of these pages from the company.

I notice that the UNIX document can be found elsewhere on the Internet, but
not the documentation for the other platforms. At least nowhere I know of.
But I wonder if any WEB4LIB subscribers have archived these lost documents
(I'm especially interested in the file that was named:
mac-remote-control.html).

Thanks.

Christopher Handy
Indianapolis, Indiana