[WEB4LIB] We need an Internet Literary Database

Bigwood, David Bigwood at lpi.usra.edu
Mon Mar 27 10:05:55 EST 2000

I think the information is out there.  Many living authors have their own
sites.  There are fan sites for many of the series.  There are sites devoted
to a particular genre, mystery, science fiction, romance.  Book reviews are
available.  If all else fails there is the publisher and the booksellers
like Amazon.

What would be nice would be a central site for linking, maybe a PURL
reslover for literature.  A PURL could be established for a title, using the
ISBN as the last part of the link.

http://purl.zzz.org/LIT/1565923227

Is an example (it is not valid) of the form of the PURL. Everything up to
the ISBN would be the same for all links, making it easy to search.  Then
anyone could search the site and see if there was a place to link to.  If
not they could do their own search and contribute the link for the next
library.  If there were many sites, the Harry Porter Fan Club, Rowling's
site, publishers site, each of these could be numbered at the end of the
ISBN like:

http://purl.zzz.org/LIT/1565923227-3
http://purl.zzz.org/LIT/1565923227-2
http://purl.zzz.org/LIT/1565923227-1 (again, none of these are valid)

This collaborative effort, would be much easier to set up than deciding the
fields, display, search capability, etc, of a central database.  We might
only end up recreating RLIN or OCLC otherwise.

So who would be willing to host the PURL resolver?

If you are to familiar with the PURL check out http://purl.oclc.org

Sincerely,
David Bigwood
bigwood at lpi.usra.edu