[WEB4LIB] LCD monitors

David Johnson davidcj at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 23 08:36:00 EST 2000

We have a limited experience at MIT's  Dewey Library at Sloan Schoool of
management.

We installed a 15" flat panel color monitor at the reference desk, part of
the Gateway suite sold for about $1800 for computer and monitor.  The CPU is
in the base of the flat panel.   It works fine, and can be swung around to
share between librarian and patron.  The librarians like it. I dont
experience "blurring" to any great degree when scrolling a website.  We have
no plans to put them on patron workstations because their cost is about 4 to
6 times that of a traditional 17" monitor.  (We usually buy Dell systems
with a 17"monitor.)

We have only had this up and running for about 6 months,  so we cannot tell
you anything about longevity.

At 12:55 PM 03/22/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>Greetings all,
>
>I'm fairly new to the list and haven't posted anything yet.  I work in a
>small academic library and the staff has been given the opportunity to
>purchase some new computers for both the reference desk and for patron
>use.  We've been thinking about purchasing the LCD flat monitors because
>of space, but have some concerns -- chiefly whether they hold up well in
>such a public setting, and whether patrons will be able to scroll
>through Internet pages without the image blurring.
David  Johnson
Library Technology Consultant        	617-253-9327
MIT Libraries 			Room 14-0615
				77 Mass Ave  Cambridge, MA   02139