Apache config question

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Mar 22 09:00:32 EST 2000

Has anyone observed anything like this in Apache?  We have a number of IP
ranges for which we need to allow access, but with a specific address or
addresses that we need to deny (something like a FreeNet or a proxy that's
open to users we don't allow, etc.).  For years, we have had something
like this in our Apache config files:

<Directory /foo>
  <Limit GET POST>
  order deny, allow
  deny from all
  allow from 150.134.
  deny from 150.134.50.5
  </Limit>
</Directory>

This would allow access to Youngstown State U, but keep out the Youngstown
FreeNet.

Apparently, sometime between Apache 1.3.3 and 1.3.9, this stopped
working--or at least, similar configurations on different servers running
those versions don't keep out the FreeNet IP.  Has anyone else observed
this?  And if so, did you find a workaround?

[Apache is great in so many ways, but it really is frustrating how many
tiny little things change from one version to the next, from the location
of the httpd executable to the default Options for directories.]

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu