[WEB4LIB] Re Filemaker e-jnls d'base

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Thu Mar 16 09:43:34 EST 2000

At 1:46 AM -0800 3/16/00, Kirsty Beveridge wrote:
>  To: Natalie Sturr
>
>Hello
>I have one query about the d'base - how many users is Filemaker
>licensed for? Can more than one person use the web version  at a
>time?
>I'm very pleased to see someone publishing the details behind the
>d'base - I'm trying to do the same for our e-journals ( on a smaller
>scale), and not familiar with filemaker 4  yet.
>
>Kirsty
>k.beveridge at norcol.ac.uk

Filemaker 4 was usable by an unlimited number of users. A great
product in terms of bang/buck.

Filemaker 5 comes in several versions. The unlimited version has
gotten a lot more expensive ($999); the standard version ($249) has
this license restriction:

>(e) SPECIAL TERMS FOR FILEMAKER PRO ONLY: If you have licensed the
>standard version of FileMaker Pro, when deploying FileMaker Pro for
>hosting non-FileMaker Pro clients, you are permitted to host up to
>but not more than ten (10) guests (e.g., IP addresses via the Web
>Companion) or other API connections (e.g. ODBC, JDBC, Apple Events
>or ActiveX) on a rolling twelve (12) hour schedule. You are further
>prohibited from using the standard version of FileMaker Pro with any
>middleware, application server, CGI, or other software or technology
>that allows more than a single client to access any FileMaker Pro
>database.

Eric Hellman
Openly Informatics, Inc.
http://www.openly.com/           21st Century Information Infrastructure