WebOPAC kiosk setup

Bennett, Roy - WOU Library bennetr at wou.edu
Fri Mar 10 14:04:19 EST 2000

We have developed a dedicated public Web OPAC workstation that
meets our security and privacy needs. Following the suggestions
from the Web4lib archives and information at the Berkeley
SunSITE, we have a kiosk environment that prevents the redisplay
of patron information, blocks access to specific domain names, etc.

However, we are looking for a way to give patrons a clearer screen
message when they select a link that is blocked. We are using
Netscape's manual proxy to limit access. This is simple and
straightforward for us to setup, but the screen message is too
cryptic (or not very informative) for the average patron.

We are looking for a way to present a custom message saying
something like "This link is not available at this library workstation."

Is there a way to tweak Netscape to display a custom message, or
do we need to look for another proxy tool to run on the local
workstation to present a custom message?

When fully implemented, we will run the latest version of Windows 98 and
either Netscape Communicator or Navigator standalone.  We already use
WinSelect Kiosk to block Netscape menus and buttons, and will continue to
use that product.

Suggestions?  Thanks.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Roy Bennett