[WEB4LIB] Re: CSS and Style Sheets

Araby Greene greene at bulldog.unca.edu
Fri Mar 10 10:41:29 EST 2000

John,

In answer to your question about why seeing one's Web pages in Linux is a
life-changing experience:

It takes special effort to install and use True Type fonts in Linux, so the
typical Netscape user will see the default, ugly, tiny, 75dpi Type 1
PostScript fonts, but not arial, times new roman, etc. For a good browsing
experience, the user needs to know how to get and install the Microsoft font
pack and also change the .Xdefaults file so that Netscape is forced to
display 100 dpi or larger fonts. Web pages that do not specify a font look
better on the typical Linux Netscape screen than heavily-styled pages. The
default font is then not so hard to read as an even smaller substitute font.

Also, when I installed Linux on my home computer, it didn't understand that
my video card really could display true-color just fine, and relentlessly
displayed 256 colors even when cycling through alternate monitor configs. It
took some persistance to fix this problem. Finally had to comment out all
other configs except 800 x 600 24-bit color to get X-windows to reliably use
my chosen config. Most Web pages look pretty sucky in 256 colors (of course,
we all use the "browser-safe" color cube all the time...).

I don't always think about Linux users, but there are more of them out there
these days.

Araby
Araby Greene
Coor. of Electronic Resources & Gov't Information
Ramsey Library, UNC-Asheville
greene at bulldog.unca.edu
(828) 251-6632