[WEB4LIB] Re: CSS and Style Sheets

Rachel MacDonald rmacdona at grcc.ctc.edu
Thu Mar 9 12:51:51 EST 2000

Bill Drew said:
>As far as the font-size:medium.  All of the major browsers let you increase
>or decrease the size of the font so this is almost a non-issue.  I was
>optimizing the page for our laptop users and public work stations here in
>the library as much as I can without imposing unneeded burdens on other
>viewers.  Hope to get more suggestions soon.

The issue is not whether or not people have the option of changing the font
size.  The issue is that almost everyone has a default font size set in
their browsers based on what is most useful and legible for them.  By
putting a font size statement in your stylesheet, you are overriding
everyone's personal preferences.  And for me at least, your choice for font
size is too large in MSIE--I feel like I'm being yelled at.  I'm not trying
to tell you how to design--I have no problem with you optimizing pages for
your own library work stations (that's what I tend to do as well), but I
personally see no need to specify a font size in any way.  Being able to
change the font size in browsers should be an option--not a necessity due to
someone's design choices.

rachel
rmacdona at grcc.ctc.edu
Holman Library, GRCC