[WEB4LIB] Viewing PowerPoint2000 Presentations in Netscape

Nolan, Chris CNolan at Trinity.edu
Tue Mar 7 16:31:27 EST 2000

Hi, Debra.  I believe that I have saved PPT2000 presentations that work with
Netscape and IE5.  You need to choose the option that saves the file in a
format compatible with both browsers; look under Save As Web Page, then
choose Publish, and you should see these options.  The default option is an
IE-compatible format only.

Christopher W. Nolan
Head of Reference & Interim Digital Support Manager
Coates Library, Trinity University
715 Stadium Dr.
San Antonio, TX  78212
cnolan at trinity.edu       http://www.trinity.edu/cnolan

-----Original Message-----
From: Debra Faires [mailto:dfaires at wahoo.sjsu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2000 3:25 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Viewing PowerPoint2000 Presentations in Netscape

Has anyone else found it impossible to view slide shows prepared with
PowerPoint 2000 (and saved as html) with Netscape?

I've tried using Netscape Communicator v. 4.7 and 4.5 on both PC and Mac.
All return only Javascript error messages after warning that the site has
been optimized for viewing with Internet Explorer.  And, yes, the
PowerPoints work when viewed with IE5.

I've checked the Netscape site but found no references to the problem. I
haven't tried their fee based technical support.  That will be the next
step, I suppose.

Here is a test PowerPoint:
http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/courses/204.dowlin/ppttest.htm/TEST_files/frame.htm

Is the only solution to abandon Netscape when viewing new PowerPoints?
That seems to bring up larger issues . . .

Thanks-

Debra Faires
SLIS student
San Jose State University