[WEB4LIB] Re: Do We Still Need Online Catalog Vendors?

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Sun Mar 5 01:33:57 EST 2000

NSB> It would just be nice to have the ability to tweak the commercial
NSB> programs a little.  The old DOS Cat-Me Plus was way better than
NSB> Follett's Windows where you can't cut & paste more than one
NSB> subfield of data, and if you want lots of 650s you have insert
NSB> each one.  Not to mention the overdue list format nightmares.

Some of them can be tweaked.  Of course if you do that, you're on your
own when they upgrade, etc.  Your work may no longer work with the
upgrade.

As an example, we use Geac Advance, as do many other libraries.  The
only Geac Advance library I know of that has significantly modified
the Advance system is Los Alamos National Labs Library.  However, they
have a former public library Advance administrator and two former Geac
programmers, who were intimately involved in developing the system.
They also have a host of technical support staff and programmers, and
considerably more money than most of us do.

Some complain that vendors discourage modifications only so they can
make bunches of money doing custom mods for you....but the above is
exactly why.

I'm sure there are a few other libraries that are making significant
mods to their ILS software, but they're braver or richer than the rest
of us.

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID  83716-7115  USA
dan at 84.com   www.84.com   www.postcard.org  208-383-0165