[WEB4LIB] Re: Wireless vs. wired LAN for libraries

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Sun Mar 5 01:17:17 EST 2000

HC> I am too thinking about wireless commpunications in our (soon to be
HC> finished, ha ha ha) renovated main floor.

HC> I think that the "cost" issue should be considered carefully.

HC> Since computers started showing up, we were promissed that they will
HC> make things cheaper. After two decades we can now safely say that they
HC> didn't. They give us more power for the same price. I think that the
HC> "cost" point of view is not the most important one.

Actually, the computers have gotten cheaper for more power.  In the
early nineties we used to talk about the $3000 computer, with that
being the standard price for a business computer.  These days the
price is half of that.

We buy, for less than $1400, a P3-550 with 128mb, net card, 17 inch
monitor, 13MB disk, etc.  Ten years ago you couldn't get any computer
for that price, at least one you'd want to use in the library.

Sure, we could spend 3000 bucks, but for that we'd be absolutely high
end, not what you'd use for general staff use or public use.

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID  83716-7115  USA
dan at 84.com   www.84.com   www.postcard.org  208-383-0165