[WEB4LIB] Re: Do We Still Need Online Catalog Vendors?

Drew, Bill drewwe at morrisville.EDU
Sat Mar 4 22:44:04 EST 2000

As a systems librarian for almost 10 years, I must speak my 2 cents worth.
The library system is NOT just a OPAC anymore.  It includes circulation,
serials control, course reserve, authority control, maybe media booking, and
probably acquisitions.  One anyone like to design such a system from the
ground up?  Would you care to design one that also would allow 64 college
campuses to be searched at the same time and to eventually share state wide
circulation as well as ILL?  That is what has been done by ExLibris.  The
State University of New York is almost finished with contract negotiations
with them.  CUNY (City University of NY) will also be using the same system.
No home grown system would accomplish that.  Just talk to anyone from
Syracuse University.  They used to have a home grown system.  They don't
anymore.

Anyone that wants to start from the ground up should take a course in
systems analysis and database design.  That would really be an eye opener.

The other ideas expressed about integrating the OPAC with access to the web
and other databases will come given a little time.

-----
Wilfred (Bill) Drew
Associate Librarian, Systems and Reference
SUNY Morrisville College Library
drewwe at morrisville.edu
Home: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe
Not Just Cows: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/