[WEB4LIB] Re: Do We Still Need Online Catalog Vendors?

Sue Kamm suekamm at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 4 10:03:30 EST 2000

Well said, Debbie!

My library (Inglewood, CA PL) uses a home-grown circ/OPAC.  Sometime in
the early nineties we persuaded our city's MIS department to integrate
our catalog records, which were on standalone CD-ROM workstations, into
the circulation system.  We have the capability  to search by keyword
in author, title, subject, keyword, and summary (MARC tag 520) fields.
It's clunky, and since our MIS department works for the whole city, when
we need changes it takes a while for them to be made.

One search function I'd like to have is by call number.  Too often
people write down the call number (but not author or title) and then
come to the desk when they can't find the book.

We're beginning to think about using an outside vendor for circualtion
and OPAC functions.  At least the vendors speak fluent library!

--
Your friendly CyberGoddess and ALA Councilor,
Sue Kamm
email:  suekamm at mindspring.com
"Dogs have masters.  Cats have staff."
--Sneaky Pie Brown, author of WISH YOU WERE HERE