[WEB4LIB] Re: Do We Still Need Online Catalog Vendors?

Don Yarman yarmando at ghpl.org
Sat Mar 4 09:15:07 EST 2000

Donald Barclay wrote:

> I was looking at the Zope homepage (yyy.zope.org), and it got me to
> wondering: With the growing emphasis on dynamic websites--and the growing
> number of open-source tools that allow you to create dynamic websites--is
> the library world approaching the point where libraries are going to start
> saying goodbye to online catalog vendors (SIRSI, Innopac, VTLS, et al.)
and
> start developing web-based, home-grown catalogs?

Well, I won't be, for all those clearly articulated reasons
Debra Lords put forth.  But I think Donald Barclay is absolutely
right with his vision of a more integrated system returning
results across databases.  I've been hoping the automation vendors
will begin creating these wonderful tools for us.  At last week's
Dynix users conference, epixtech (perhaps as a result of their
recent divorce from Ameritech) began talking about some amazing
new things they're working on.

So, OK, they've let me down before -- don't even get me started
on Kid's Catalog or Java WebPac.  But their new iPac plans
look extra cool.  If they manage to deliver most of what they're
promising, the other vendors will probably begin competing with
comparable products.  I'm really anxious to see what's coming
from OCLC this summer with WebExpress, their cross-database search
portal, and CORC, the "let's catalog the Internet" project.

Heartened to finally see our automation vendor paying attention
to what Amazon, Yahoo, and NetLibrary are doing, I remain
prepared for disappointment but your ever hopeful servant,

                            Don Yarman
                            Grandview Hts Public Library
                            yarmando at ghpl.org