Input Needed on King Experience

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Wed Mar 15 23:11:16 EST 2000

For an upcoming column in American Libraries, I'll be talking about the
experiences libraries had (are having?) with respect to offering the new
Stephen King novella, "Riding the Bullet."

Have you tried to offer access to this book to your reading public?  Why or
why not?
Have you tried to offer access to your staff?
Are you purchasing devices for reading e-books (PDAs, e-readers, extra
computers, etc.)?  Is this an additional cost or did you build in a line
item for these devices prior to this budget year?
Did you come up with a way to "circulate" the book, offer it remotely on the
Web, distribute it on e-readers, let patrons check out readers, etc. etc.?
If you are providing access in the library, via library computers or other
devices, do computer time limits impact the reading experience?  Why or why
not?
If you aren't offering this book, what are you telling your Stephen King
fans?
Have you talked to vendors about e-books yet?
Have you read an e-book?
Do you see e-books as the trend of the future?
Where will e-books take us?
Do you like coleslaw on your e-book? [this last question targeted at PUBLIB
subscribers]

Please email me personally at kgs at bluehighways.com and include your name,
organization, city, state/country.  Comments are due to me by Friday, March
24, 9 P.M. EST.

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Assistant Director of Technology
Shenendehowa Public Library, Clifton Park, NY
http://www.shenpublib.org