Library network and Internet reliability statistics?

MikDinkins at aol.com MikDinkins at aol.com
Sun Mar 5 17:22:35 EST 2000

Subj:   Network reliability statistics?
Date:   3/5/00
To: 4 listservs

I work for a library system with 11 branches serving a county population of
405k. The County's communications department was privatized and the service
for hardware and software problems leaves something to be desired.
Our public Internet access stations (about 42 of them) crash several times
each day, and have since they were installed more than 1 year ago. Our
networked staff computers are plagued with a myriad of problems resulting in
an enormous waste of time.
Is anyone aware of any statistics on the reliability of public Internet and
Windows NT staff workstations from organizations which may be similar in size
to mine? Logged down time and number of requests for repair to providers Help
Desk would be helpful. I would find anectdotal info of interest, however,
most helpful.
If I keep complaining about this lack of service without being able to back
up my arguments with hard data, I may soon be looking for employment
elsewhere.
Thanks
Mike