[WEB4LIB] Computer labs...controlling programs that can be run

Alma E. Garcia almag at mills.edu
Thu Mar 2 15:54:25 EST 2000

Last summer we opened up a Bibliographic Instuction Room that on weekends
is open to students as a "lab".  We are using Deep Freeze from WinSelect
to keep the destktop just the way we want them.  You can find out more at
www.winselect.com

We have not had any problems with this software.  If something gets
changes a reboot takes the PC back to the configuration  we want.  It does
make the reboot run a little slow, but it has done the trick for us in our
setting.

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Charles P. Hobbs wrote:

> We're thinking of setting up a computer lab in the library. Web browsers,
> Office 2000 programs, and various pieces of educational software are ok,
> but people bringing in video games and running them would not be. What
> sort of software would be good in preventing "outside" software from
> running (we plan to leave all the disk drives accessable, locking them, as
> we do now, is not an option).
>
> Thanks!

> Charles P. Hobbs                          __  __     ____  ___       ___ ____
> transit at primenet.com                     /__)/__) / / / / /_  /\  / /_    /