Timeout and scheduling software (again!)

Dales, Carol CDales at city.winnipeg.mb.ca
Thu Mar 2 11:57:52 EST 2000

(My apologies to anyone who's read this message in its first
incarnation. As I originally posted on the Friday afternoon
before a major U.S. holiday weekend, I am now re-posting
verbatim, hoping to hear from people who might have missed
my first appeal! Much thanks to those who did respond.)

I am investigating Internet timeout and scheduling software
for use in a twenty branch public library system. We would
like to resolve our considerable scheduling / timeout issues before
our workstations double in number under the Gates Foundation
grant!
We require software that permits users to use library cards to
self book time slots at any branch by telephone or at a library
workstation, and to log in with their cards at their scheduled
times.
It should also limit bookings per user throughout the system,
issue warnings to users before logging them off and maintain
use statistics.

We are examining several products, among them SRI
Library Online, Cybraryn and Pharos. I have checked the
list Archive, but would still like to hear from anyone who has
had recent experience with these or other products. Our major
challenge is to select a product that meets our needs as
economically as possible, without paying for security and
printing control features that are already managed by our
NT network. All advice is welcomed- I will summarize for the
list and share our experiences.

E. Carol Dales
Information Services Librarian
Winnipeg Centennial Library