[WEB4LIB] Re: Wireless vs. wired LAN for libraries

Lori Bell lbell at darkstar.rsa.lib.il.us
Thu Mar 2 07:56:56 EST 2000

Hi.  We are putting a wireless network into one of our service centers
with 12 computers, 6 of them being in a training center.  We are a
regional library system and so we are doing this to test the reliability
of wireless for our member libraries.  We are going with the Lucent
WAVELAN product and the 11 mps cards.  We also have a couple small publics
which have Carnegie buildings which are difficult to wire trying a
wireless mode.  We had an academic which wanted to try checking out
laptops with the cards in them so they could use them anywhere on the
library's network, but it was not funded.  I look forward to trying this
and hearing from others who have experience in this area.
Thanks.

Lori Bell
Automation/Technology Department
Alliance Library System