[WEB4LIB] Re: Napster Question (Was Audio Books Being Shared)

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at rcls.org
Wed Jun 28 11:21:56 EDT 2000

Hey, I just got the dime in the mail from Eric, too! Actually, the thread
came around to the point that there are emerging technologies that could
preserve copyright in a napster-like distributed environment. BTW, my
original post on the topic wasn't anti-Napster; it was just pointing out the
likely alarm with which the ebook industry is viewing Napster and how that
might effect the technologies *they* will use to develop their encryption
schemes...which might make the development of ebook servers for libraries
that will allow sharing and downloading much more problematic.
As for the Grateful Dead being a model for life beyond copyright, that seems
like an unrealistic solution for authors, unless John Updike plays a really
groovy guitar.
Jerry Kuntz
Ramapo Catskill Library System
jkuntz at rcls.org