How to Speak Geek

Michael Sauers msauers at bcr.org
Tue Jun 27 13:06:02 EDT 2000

One of my new classes is titled "How to Speak Geek". It is designed for
non-technical (library) management. Here is the official description:

***

Do you feel that you and your Web administrator are not speaking the same
language? Are you even sure that your Web administrator and other technical
staff speak the same language every day? Do you feel that your requests are
reasonable, but they keep telling you that it can't be done? If any of these
questions describe how you feel, this session is for you. Learn:

How to use common technical terminology effectively.
What a typical server administrator does.
Whether or not your idea really is a "security issue."
How to approach your technical staff to get the job you want done.

***

So, what exactly do you feel I should cover (terms, technologies, etc.)? Do
you have good sites that demo or explain those terms or technologies? The
description is quite broad so any and all input gladly accepted.

Michael Sauers, Internet Trainer
Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
Aurora, CO :: msauers at bcr.org :: http://www.bcr.org/~msauers/
WWW Library Directory @ http://www.webpan.com/msauers/libdir/
Opinions expressed are my own unless otherwise noted.