[WEB4LIB] Re: Google Indexes a BILLION pages?

Tara Calishain calumet at Mindspring.com
Mon Jun 26 12:27:10 EDT 2000

At 09:23 AM 6/26/2000 -0700, Ian Winship wrote:
> > Google's home page is claiming that their search engine now indexes a
> > billion pages.
>
>According to SearchEngineWatch (http://searchenginewatch.com/news.html):
>
>  Google has also announced that its full-text index size has increased to
>  560 million URLs, making it the largest search engine on the web.
>  Additionally, Google says it also returns results from 500 million
>partially indexed
>  URLs, giving it a reach of over 1 billion documents.
>
>So not quite as good as it sounds.

Yeah, I corrected my Web pages. I guess I saw the word billion and my head
exploded. (I am cleaning bits of brain -- very small bits -- off my
screen.) Still,
Lycos was bragging on their 350 million page directory, and Google waltzes in
with 560 million URLs?

Yoik.

I hope to get an article together with some head to head comparisons in the
next few days. Suggestions for search queries are welcome.

Tara

ResearchBuzz:
" ... without a doubt one of the most consistently
valuable and interesting Internet resources
newsletters available." -- The Scout Report
http://www.researchbuzz.com