[WEB4LIB] Re: Audio books being shared

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Fri Jun 23 19:00:01 EDT 2000

Oh well, I'm a lousy gambler. The dime is on the way.

Did I say I thought posting audio books with Napster was fair use? I
agree that looking for an out of print song seems less criminal, but
there's no such distinction in the law.

On economic models-  for a number of years the highest grossing
musical group, counting all revenue streams, was the Grateful Dead,
who encouraged their fans to "share" the music.

Back to work... (on free software!)

Eric

>Eric,
>What--you think posting audio books on Napster was done with permission or
>meets fair use criteria? Give me a break! [And send me the dime; although
>what I'm really looking for are songs from Marshall Crenshaw's criminally
>out-of-print "Good Evening" album.]
>Along with us head-in-the-sand librarians, there may be a lot of authors,
>musicians, editors, and heck--even programmers--rethinking their reasons for
>existence, unless you've got an economic model in mind that will compensate
>them for their effort and creativity.
>Jerry Kuntz
>Ramapo Catskill Library System
>jkuntz at rcls.org