Napster Question (Was Audio Books Being Shared)

Donald A. Barclay dbarclay at library.tmc.edu
Fri Jun 23 17:45:51 EDT 2000

One question I haven't heard raised about Napster, Gnutella, et al. is that
of the authenticity of the files you download. For example, what's to keep
some person, group, or company from flooding the Napwaves with files that
appear to be tracks from Ms Spears yet-to-be-released album but turn out to
be advertisements, political rants, or the songs of some Spears-wannabe in
search of an audience?

Maybe with music, such trickery wouldn't be a problem. After a few seconds
of listening, you would figure out the file you've downloaded is not really
the song you wanted and would simply turn it off. However, imagine if
journal articles come to be shared the way music is now shared on Napster.
And imagine  somebody tampers with a journal article they are sharing by,
perhaps, changing a few numbers here and there or  rewriting the
conclusion, . It would be difficult to detect subtle tampering, and the
consequences could be quite serious in such fields as medicine,
engineering, chemistry, and so on.

I'm not trying to come off as pro- or anti-Napster, but I do see the
question of authenticity as a serious challenge to the notion that Napster
et al. is going to transform publishing into an entirely communal activity.
Perhaps one role of librarians will be to ensure the authenticity of
information?

Donald A. Barclay
Houston Academy of Medicine-
Texas Medical Center Library                                      always
the beautiful answer
dbarclay at library.tmc.edu                                               who
asks a more beautiful question
713-799-7120