[WEB4LIB] Re: Audio books being shared

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri Jun 23 17:13:15 EDT 2000

"I've recently been encouraging publishers, librarians, and others to
actually try out Napster (Macster's very impressive as well), to see what
the fuss is about, and and to learn why they have to completely rethink
their reasons for existence."

Where's the challenge?  Yes, Napster is impressive because it moves the
whole concept of the information sharing power of the Internet to a whole
new level.  However, it also recreates all of the "information overload"
problems at a whole new scale as well.  Even searches for obscure songs can
bring back dozens of potential downloads -- but there is absolutely no
classification scheme to it all.  Essentially, it's a crap-shoot that the
file you are selecting is going to be something worth the time to download.
To me, it looks like another huge opportunity for librarians to make use of
those skills that they have acquired to make sense of this new deluge of
information.

Now, who's going to take on the task of categorizing and distributing all of
this information that potentially would be available through the
post-Napster Internet?  The kid downloading MP3s in his/her college dorm
room?  The latest dot-com enterprise?  Libraries - definitely!

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI