[WEB4LIB] Alternatives to Deja?

Charles P. Hobbs chhobbs at cdrewu.edu
Tue Jun 20 13:17:31 EDT 2000

spober at manhattan.edu wrote:

> Deja (formerly DejaNews) recently cut back its archive of Usenet posts
> drastically.  While they formerly were a repository for Usenet dating
> back for some years, they now go back only to early 1999.  According to
> posts I've seen on some newsgroups, Deja may add back some or all of the
> archive at some future point but due to a move to new servers, they are
> rather limited right now.

Don't count on it before the end of the year:
http://www.salon.com/tech/log/2000/06/20/deja/index.html

> I'm wondering if there are any competing services offering Usenet
> archives.

There's http://www.remarq.com, but I've never been able to get it to go
back farther than January 2000--maybe I'm doing something wrong.

> Altavista used to search have the option to search Usenet
> rather than the web, but I don't believe they offer that now.

You can still search "Discussion Groups" ("News" on Altavista means news
media
articles), but Altavista only holds on to articles for about a month.

--
Charles P. Hobbs
King Drew Health Science Library