[WEB4LIB] Necessary software and training for newbie

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Thu Jun 15 14:27:20 EDT 2000

Assuming PC is for MS Windows compatibility, for html editing I use
Macromedia's Dreamweaver.   Dream Weaver has an option to open the
source in an external editor that you define as a default external
editor.  Homesite seems to be very popular also.

I use EditPad as my external editor.  Editpad is not limited to 50k as
notepad, open multiple documents, search and replace on one or all
documents, use search or replacement characters such as \t for tabs,
convert tabs to spaces or uppercase to lower or lower to upper, email
the text, and best of all, its postcardware.

A good graphics companion to DreamWeaver is Macromedia's FireWorks.  The
tutorials for both are good.  You can get the Dreamwever/Fireworks suite
for about $150 educational price I think.

I now use Python for scripting on NT and Linux.  And I use the Zope
server to interact with databases on MySQL and PostgreSQL.  Zope is
built on Python and both are open source and run on several platforms.

I use Alt-PrintScrn to capture graphics on the PC.  This copies anything
in the active window to the clipboard, Ctrl-PrintScrn copies the entire
desktop to the clipboard.  Some don't think this has the quality of
other screen capture software but I think it does the job fine.  The
quality of the graphic, IMHO, depends on the application you paste into.

Dreamweaver/Fireworks http://www.macromedia.com
EditPad    http://www.jgsoft.com
Python     http://www.python.org
Zope       http://www.zope.org

Thomas

Iris Carroll wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My name is Iris Carroll and I have just gotten the job of Electronic
> Services Librarian at a junior college in California.  I'm very excited
> about this position and can't wait to get started later this summer.
>
> I have experience creating research Web sites but have not created dynamic,
> interactive, services-oriented ones.  I have two questions:
>
> 1.      What PC software would you consider essential?  I think I would need
> some screen capture software for Web tutorials.  Can you recommend any?  I
> have always used a plain vanilla text editor in the past, but am ready to
> try a good HTML editor.  What would you recommend?  What else should I have
> besides the basic office software?
>
> 2.      What technical training could you recommend?  Should I start out
> with PERL or UNIX?  I have had a few HTML courses over the years and I think
> I need something more technical.  I don't think I'll be involved too heavily
> in system administration, although I'm sure my job will take me down that
> road more than I am anticipating now.
>
> Thanks so much for your help and I can't wait to feel like a fully
> functioning member of this group.  Please feel free to respond off-list at
> the address below.  Thanks again.
>
> Iris B. Carroll
> Chief Librarian
> The Modesto Bee
> 1325 H Street
> Modesto, CA 95350
> 209-578-2333
> icarroll at modbee.com

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III            University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine