[WEB4LIB] NetMeeting

Michael Sauers msauers at bcr.org
Wed Jun 14 15:20:27 EDT 2000

> 3. General opinions from people out there using NetMeeting.  Is it
> working, are users able to figure it out, etc.  I'd also like to hear any
> horror stories on why I shouldn't use NetMeeting.  I've looked at a few
> other products, but I'm open to suggestion still for other products.

I've been at the receiving end of weekly NetMeeting meetings. Here are some
things to look out for (though not NetMeeting specific.)

The ones I attend are only one way non-collaborative, we see what they want
us to see, and the audio is done by conference call. This setup seems to
work quite well.

The one meeting a week was later changed to two meetings a week, one for
high-bandwidth people, and one for low-bandwidth people. This is because all
the people on 56k lines made everything VERY slow for the T1 people since it
slows to the lowest common denominator.

Make sure EVERYONE participating has set up the software properly, tested
the connection and tested the setup IN ADVANCE of the actual event. I've
attended several where one or more people did not know how to use the
technology and the significant part of the meeting was getting that one (or
more) person(s) up and running, thus completely wasting the time of the rest
of the participants.

                  Michael Sauers, Internet Trainer
              Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
    Aurora, CO :: msauers at bcr.org :: http://www.bcr.org/~msauers/
 The WWW Library Directory is @ http://www.webpan.com/msauers/libdir/
 Buy books, music or videos? http://www.evenbetter.com/?partner=1307
         Opinions expressed are my own unless otherwise noted.