[WEB4LIB] Library exchange? expanded

Masters, Gary E GEM at CDRH.FDA.GOV
Fri Jun 9 06:56:01 EDT 2000

Bernie:

Certainly.  Companies are using the Internet to create a "spot market" for
what they sell.  It lowers cost and prices and gives them more access to
customers.  Check out InfoWorld for June 5 on page 41 for a special report
"Marketplace mechanics."  The idea is the Internet can create a more direct
marked with less overhead.

I have thought this a good idea, but I wondered how libraries could use it.
We all have books we weed out.  Perhaps others need them.  I see now and
then people asking what to do with older computer equipment.  One person's
trash is another's treasure.  How about a labor exchange?  Library A has
some slack time (if they would admit it - which is a new idea) and swaps it
to Library B to do some authority work for them.  They get some used PC's in
return or what ever else can be legally swapped.  A man in Laredo made quite
a splash with a time bank where people do small errands for sick people and
build up credit for when they are sick or need help.  I think a time
exchange could work if done properly.

That is what I meant by "Books?  Used computer equipment?  Hours of work?"

Certainly it could give us a better way to match surplus to need.

But sometimes I am understandable only to myself.

Gary E. Masters
Librarian (Systems)
CDRH - FDA
(301) 827-6893