[WEB4LIB] Internet Connection Sharing

Bradzo bradzo at ozemail.com.au
Sat Jun 3 20:31:22 EDT 2000

Michael

Install the ICS on the PC with the modem (obviously!)
then, create an ICS Client disk from the ICS wizard.
Install the ICS Client on the workstation.

The ICS Server needs only a single LAN connection,
ie only one card in the server is necessary for the other
workstations to see it on the network. You can add
a second NIC I guess if you want to physically separate
two segments of a LAN, but in a simple situation for
use with the ICS, its not necessary.

The gateway address on the client is the ip address
of the server. The netmask stays the same.

We've implemented it in our retail shop where we provide
public internet access - we have 5 PCs running off a single
56k modem (we're pretty cheap!) and it works fine.

Its relatively simple to get working - the following resources
will help.

"Internet Connection Sharing"
http://www.microsoft.com/HOMENET/ics.htm

"Description of Internet Connection Sharing"
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q234/8/15.ASP

"How to Troubleshoot Internet Connection Sharing Problems"
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q238/1/35.ASP

Regards

Brad Thomas
Technical Director