Mac/PC Field Autotruncation

Patricia F Anderson pfa at umich.edu
Fri Jun 2 18:30:46 EDT 2000

Greetings, O Great Techy Gurus,

We run Medline through the commercial vendor system, and have discovered a
weirdness. We aren't sure if it is because of something the vendor could
change or just part of the way Netscape is on the different platforms.
Briefly, we have some sample searches we wrote out as text strings so
people can cut and paste into the search textbox. The textbox is SIZE=50.
On the PCs, we can paste in whatever we want, and so far we have not hit
an upper limit. However, when we try the same thing on the Macintosh, it
autotruncates at 255 characters.

(a) Is this Netscape or the vendor scripting?
(b) Is there some way around the 255 limit on the Macintosh?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Pat Anderson, Dentistry Library, University of Michigan, pfa at umich.edu