OPACS and terminals

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Jun 1 11:00:51 EDT 2000

I have been thinking about converting our OPACs from PCs to terminals -
I don't see the sense in providing PC level support for a single-use
machine.  However, this migration has been delayed by concerns about
technology and cost.  One of the most common concerns is the "single
point of failure" that would leave all of the OPACs disabled if the
terminal server ever went down.  While I understand the concern, I don't
think it is a good enough argument for waiting to move forward.

Recently, I came across a "solution" that addresses that concern and
might be a useful first step.  Compaq is offering a new thin-client
device that integrates terminal emulation and Netscape into the terminal
device.  See:

http://www.compaq.com/products/thinclients/T1500/

This would allow the terminal device to operate independently as a
"thin-client" with the ability to be converted to a true terminal once I
successfully make the argument for moving to a terminal server.  Even if
a terminal server is never implemented, this seems a very good
relatively low-cost solution that would eliminate many of the headaches
of a standard PC OPAC.

My questions are:

1)  Is anyone using these hybird "thin-clients" as in either a
stand-alone or terminal arrangement?

2)  What drawbacks would you see from going this route versus using PCs
or true terminals?

Please respond to me personally - I can summarize to the list if I get
enough responses.

Thanks for your feedback!

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician