[WEB4LIB] cgi or php?

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Sat Jun 10 15:38:13 EDT 2000

IBM has been having quite a few Linux support pages on their
developerWorks site.  The page at the URL below shows a simple short
comparison of how Java, Perl, PHP, Python, and Tcl perform similar tasks
such as cgi, file reading and writing, etc.  So seeing that these
languages are not platform specific, for the most part, this at least
gives you a chance to see how to do the same action in different
scripting languages.

http://www-4.ibm.com/software/developer/library/script-survey/?loc=007&t=nl0529&p

Another good link is:
http://www.developer.ibm.com/library/library.html

>From that page: " The library is a collection of valuable technical
information for developers. Some of the material is restricted to
PartnerWorld for Developers members. If you haven't joined, do it today!
"

Articles, books, brochures, developer briefs, magazines & newsletters,
programmer's information, white papers, etc.

Thomas

Sunner wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Our new ISP has recommended that we convert all our home page cgi scripts to
> php. We use scripts for a whole range of functions, but php appears to be
> mainly used for database-type functions (or have a dropped behind the times
> yet again?)
>
> I haven't managed to locate any in-depth analysis of php as a general
> scripting language and was wondering if anyone has used it and can comment
> on advantages/disadvantages over cgi, general views, etc.
>
> Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Kati
>
> "Time spent with cats is never wasted." - Colette

> John and Kati Sunner
>
> Email for John at Frontier Economics: john.sunner at frontier-economics.com.au
>
> Email for Kati at the Federation of Education Unions Information Centre:
> katis at edunions.labor.net.au

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II             University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine