[WEB4LIB] Netstations

Hambleton, John jhamblet at nmu.edu
Thu Jun 8 09:09:27 EDT 2000

Aloha!
I looked into it. Personally,  I wouldn't do it.
The cost of a Celeron based PC is low enough
and will give you more flexibility in the long run.
Indeed, as time as progressed, our public
workstations have evolved such that although
for the most part they're uniform, some have special
purpose software loaded--part on the workstation
since that's where the Windows REGISTRY is, and
part on one of our servers. I use Symantec GHOST
to make workstation images and I save these images
to an "image farm" on a Netware server I use just for
that purpose.

Opinions will vary, but I think for the most part libraries
use low cost (but still decent quality) PC's for public
workstations and a variety of either Windows hacks or
software products to secure the desktop.

BTW My office mate (name is Kathleen) *loves* Koalas.
She's in the same office as myself in case you'd like to send
her a Koala and some Eucalyptus trees :->

Peace,
Mr. H

At 09:34 PM 6/7/00 -0700, you wrote:
>We are currently in the process of moving to a webOPAC and are consequently
>upgrading our dumb terminals.  We have been investigating using IBM
>Netstations instead of PCs to access our catalogue and the Internet.  Have
>any other libraries already gone down this path?  Any insights, information
>or helpful tips would be appreciated.
>
>Kind Regards
>Amanda
>
>Amanda Mumme
>Information Technology Librarian
>Willoughby City Library
>407 Victoria Avenue
>CHATSWOOD  NSW  2067
>AUSTRALIA
>
>Phone: 02 9777 7916
>Fax:     02 9413 2038
>Email:   Amanda.Mumme at willoughby.nsw.gov.au

+John S. "Dilbert" Hambleton
+The "ECTH" (Emergency Computer
++Technician Hologram)
+Olson Library
+Northern Michigan University
+Marquette, Michigan 49855
+NOTIS LMS 6.5.0, GTO 6.5.0
+
+Phone:   906-227-2741
+E-mail:  jhamblet at nmu.edu
+
+Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.
+"Please state the nature of the digital dilemma"