[WEB4LIB] Re: Alternatives to the term "database" WEB4LIB

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Jul 31 08:53:39 EDT 2000

> A term  I like and which fits the current trend is 'e-resources', it
covers
> a lot!

I saw a billboard this morning for a local auto body shop.  Under the
obligatory URL for its web site, it read "E-Collision Repair With Just
One Click."  I can't really tell if that was intended as a joke.

The "e-" prefix is wrongheaded, IMO, for the same reason that the term
"cybrarian" is wrongheaded.  A resource is a resource is a resource (and
a librarian is a librarian is a librarian), and no one expects either to
be constrained to non-electronic services.  I still don't see any
problem with calling databases "databases," but you could try either or
both of "Library Resources" and "Web Resources."

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu