Magnetic interference from de-sensitizers

L. E. Puckett lpuckett at billings.lib.mt.us
Tue Jul 25 14:06:57 EDT 2000

This inquiry cross-posted to several lists; please excuse the
inconvenience.

Our library recently upgraded to the epixtech Horizon PC-based
circulation system. Our old system was Dynix. We used dumb terminals
with Dynix for check-outs, positioned on top of the Circ desk, and the
de-sensitizers (3M models) were on a shelf under the counter, approx 1
foot or 18 inches away from the dumb terminals. Worked fine.
Our new PC check-out monitors are on top of the same desk. We have had
to move the de-sensitizers, because every time we
sensitized/de-sensitized an item, the monitor would blink/jump, and
after a while the station freezes up. Eventually (takes a month or so)
the monitor dies altogether.
Having the de-sensitizers 3 or 4 feet away from the check-out stations
is inconvenient, to say the least, and far from ergonomic or efficient.

Has anyone else had this problem? Have you been able to fix it? What did
you do?  We would appreciate any suggestions that will put the
de-sensitizers back with the check-out stations where they belong.
--
L.E. Puckett
Parmly Billings Library