Javascript/frames problem in Netscape

Jonathan Makepeace jmakepea at iupui.edu
Fri Jul 21 15:47:38 EDT 2000

Our catalogers are wild about an interface to the OCLC Bibliographic
Formats and Standards that I developed last year,  but a Javascript
problem with Netscape is holding me back from sharing it with other
catalogers on AUTOCAT.

The main content is in an upper frame, with several dropdown boxes full of
links to OCLC MARC fields.  These need to be updated occasionally, so
people really should NOT run local copies.  But I want people to be able
to put it in their own frameset, with their local cataloging page in the
lower frame.

But the Javascript does not work properly in Netscape when the frameset
and the file in the upper frame are on different servers:

 On the same server: http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/~makepeac/catcoop/index.html

 On different servers:  http://php.iupui.edu/~jmakepea/catcoop/index.html
          (Works only the first time one selects something.)

It doesn't even work the first time you select something if the file in
the lower frame is also on a different server from the file in the upper
frame:

 http://php.iupui.edu/~jmakepea/catcoop/home.html

All variations work fine in Internet Explorer.  I need to get the
Javascript to work in both Netscape and Internet Explorer when the
frameset and the file in the lower frame are on a different server from
the file in the upper frame.

Can anyone help me out?

Please reply directly to me <jmakepea at iupui.edu> offlist.  I'll gladly
summarize the responses if anyone else is interested.

Thank you.  Good weekend.

--
Jonathan Makepeace, IUPUI University Library
Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis