[WEB4LIB] Remote email access via a browser

Isabel Danforth danforth at tiac.net
Tue Jul 18 18:10:50 EDT 2000

One thing that was pointed out to me is that web site is not secure.
Therefore someone could be 'sniffing' and capture your password and email
address.  I do use the site, but I do it with full knowledge of it not
being secure.

Isabel

At 12:20 PM 07/18/2000 -0700, ernest perez wrote:

>You might be interested in checking out a really slick email helper,
giving you essentially remote client access to your office or private email
accounts _via a Web browser._ Take a look at <www.mailstart.com>.

>It lets you look at your email account from a browser anywhere. You can
use for email at the office, or any other email accounts. Doesn't download
and delete mail like a regular email client, unless you command a DELETE.
*** PLUS, if you reply using the MailStart browser, the message carries the
From: and Return: address of your regular email account.***

>You can also just bookmark it, or drag it to your Links/Personal Toolbar
on your browser. You probably need to be careful with that, though, since
anyone could access your email via that same bookmark!

>Nice capability, for on the road, from office to home account, or vice-versa.
>
>Cheers,
>- ernest
>______________________
>Ernest Perez, Ph.D.
>Group Leader
>Oregon State Library
>250 Winter St. NE
>Salem OR 97301-3950
>503-378-4243, ext 257
>ernest.r.perez at state.or.us
>
>--------------------------------
>
>> MailStart.Com is the totally free way to check your email from any web
browser.
>With the growing
>>            popularity of the Internet, and the World Wide Web (WWW) in
>particular, many of us find ourselves in
>>            places that have WWW access. Unfortunately, few people or
companies
>can or will allow you to
>>            modify the configuration of their email package to check YOUR
mail,
>and in the case of web kiosks or
>>            other access limited systems there are no email features at
all.

>>            MailStart.Com allows you to use a WWW Browser to read your
email,
>reply, forward, delete and send
>>            new messages, making your email accessible from anywhere.
There is no
>need to get a different
>>            email address or have your mail forwarded, MailStart.com is a
gateway
>that actually contacts your
>>            mail server and converts the content to HTML allowing easy
access to
>YOUR regular email.
>><snip...>
>> Supported Features:
>>
>>                 Check Mail
>>                 Read Message
>>                 Delete Message
>>                 Send Mail
>>                 Message Forwarding
>>                 Message Reply
>>                 Encrypted URL information
>>                 Hyperlinks within email messages
>>                 Displays plain text and html attachments
>>                 Notes encoded (binary) attachments

Isabel L. Danforth
danforth at tiac.net
Russell Library - Middletown, CT
http://www.lioninc.org/russell/
Coordinator of Librarians' Online Support Team
http://gnacademy.tzo.org/lost/