[WEB4LIB] RE: Napster announces new company: AppleSoup

Ilene Frank (REF) ifrank at dudley.lib.usf.edu
Tue Jul 18 14:42:09 EDT 2000

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Drew, Bill wrote:

> I think viral is correct there.  I have heard the term viral marketing in
> terms of internet.  I do not know what it means.

I think Bill's right! Here's a little definition:

"Viral Marketing Defined

What does a virus have to do with marketing? Viral marketing describes any
strategy that encourages individuals to pass on a marketing message to
others, creating the potential for exponential growth in the message's
exposure and influence. Like viruses, such strategies take advantage of
rapid multiplication to explode the message to thousands, to millions. "

>From "The Six Simple Principles of Viral Marketing"
Dr. Ralph F. Wilson, E-Commerce Consultant
Web Marketing Today, Issue 70, February 1, 2000
http://www.wilsonweb.com/wmt5/viral-principles.htm

--
Ilene Frank, Reference Dept.
Tampa Campus Library, LIB 122