[WEB4LIB] New free database from Gale

Julia Schult jschult at elmira.edu
Thu Jul 13 13:22:33 EDT 2000

I tried it out and found some very important flaws in its interface.  Hopefully
those will be fixed soon (I sent them comments about them):

The worst one is that when I told it to search only in its "Reference/Ed"
category for articles on "cooperative learning", it pulled up *all the articles
in the Reference/Ed" category*, seemingly ignoring my search words.  I tried
that with a few other categories with the same result.

Another problem is that it searches the full text of the article, but once you
find the article you can only search for your term page by page.  I had searched
for articles on "Elmira College" and could not find the term in some of the
articles pulled up; I had to go page by page doing a word find, so I gave up
after the first couple of pages.  Even when you email the article, you are
really just emailing the url, so you still have to go page by page.

Once the interface works, I'll link to it.  The collection of resources is
somewhat odd, but useful enough to include it as a resource.

---Julia E. Schult
Access/Electronic Services Librarian
Elmira College
Jschult at elmira.edu