Netscape problems: launching batch files and left mouse button

Bert Coenen Bert.Coenen at law.kuleuven.ac.be
Fri Jul 7 11:56:21 EDT 2000

For the last couple of days I have been trying to figure out a way to launch
batch-files (to start up local databases) from within netscape without using a
helper application such as w3launch or weblaunch. By the way, I have come
across another launch plug-in that I have never read about in this forum:
webcd, it can be downloaded from the university of Utrecht in the Netherlands
(http://www.library.uu.nl/ubuhome/database/gegeven.htm), of course you'd have
to understand dutch to read this page and use this program.

But I digress, I have found that it's really easy to launch a batch file as
long as you don't store it on the web server but on a regular network server
(which is fine for me, people outside the LAN cannot use our databases
anyway). The problem I'm having is this: with other types of files netscape
asks whether you want to open or save just once (if you uncheck always ask
...), but with batch files, it always asks the question (even if you uncheck
...). Any suggestions on how to make netscape remember?

My guess is that most of you have come across this other problem that I've
been having: the disabled left mouse button. From what I hear the culprit
would be java-applets or javascripts on some pages. I cannot afford to switch
off java or javascript (a solution suggested in some newsgroups), does anybody
out there know of a way to re-enable the left mouse button (again in netscape,
I have read some for IE)?