[WEB4LIB] Clearing history in IE

Jim Gordon gordonj at acsu.buffalo.edu
Wed Jul 12 09:07:35 EDT 2000

Here's a suggestion about how to clear the history file of the browsers. You
may be able to have a script launch the browser rather than launching IE
itself. The script can delete the history file before opening the browser.

This is an example Macintosh AppleScript that could be disguised as the
browser icon:

tell application "Finder"
 activate
 select file "History.html" of folder "Explorer" of folder "Preferences" of
folder "System Folder" of startup disk
 delete selection
 empty trash
 select file "Internet Explorer" of folder "Internet Explorer 5 Folder" of
folder "Internet Explorer 5" of startup disk
 open selection
end tell

Similarly, if you have a Microsoft application that supports the Visual
Basic editor you can write a script to trash the history file, then open the
browser.

--
James Gordon
Lead Programmer/Analyst