Clearing history in IE

Stephanie Brooks sbrooks at coosnet.com
Tue Jul 11 16:51:19 EDT 2000

Hello --

I'm sure those of you using Internet Explorer are aware that setting your
history folder to keep 0 days in the history folder does not prevent IE from
saving web sites from the current day in the history folder.  (the web sites
are not removed until the following day.)  We lock patrons out of Internet
options and Windows Explorer, but they can still see previous web sites
visited in the drop-down box on the address bar.  From what I can tell, this
is a known issue for Microsoft and they have not yet implemented a fix.  The
only work-around they suggest on their support web site is to manually clear
the history.

So we are wondering if anyone knows of a work-around to ensure the history
is completely cleared between patrons using the Internet, without having to
manually clear the history? We are using Windows 98/IE 5.0 on our public
Internet terminals.

Thanks very much in advance to anyone who is able to provide assistance!
Stephanie Brooks
Librarian
Coos Bay Public Library
525 W. Anderson St.