[WEB4LIB] WRAP Attribute for Forms

William Moore William_Moore at umanitoba.ca
Tue Jul 11 10:45:06 EDT 2000

Well the wrap attribute will work in Netscape Navigator 2.0 or higher and
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 or higher. In creating pages I have noticed
that IE will automatically wrap text in a text area box to prevent it from
scrolling on a single line, while Netscape would only wrap the text if told to
with wrap=virtual or physical.

As far as this being a W3C standard seeing as it is not listed in the specs it
most likely is not, if anything it is probably something that Netscape had
added to their browser to aid in usability for form data.

In my mind any multi row text box should automatically wrap at the rightmost
column, otherwise why offer such a feature? True it allows the user to insert
carriage returns, however why would you want the user to format the data for
you? With that in mind it may be more up to the specific browser to handle the
wrapping of the text in this field and as such not required in the overall
standards.

   LETS Web Developer      william_moore at umanitoba.ca         204.474.6523

                  http://www.umanitoba.ca/libraries/units/lets
      486F6D6F 73756D3A 68756D616E69 6E696C 61 6D65 616C69656E756D 7075746F